enough

Well Friday my grandmother passed away. It was sad for Ethan and Elissa, they lost their granddad on their dads side last year, so they have asked a lot about death and heaven. I was torn on taking them to the funeral, but they both wanted to go so we did. It started out like most do, they played some sad southern music and one of her daughters said a little something then her grandson my cousin got up to preach or something like it. OH MY GOODNESS I did not know people like him were real. First let me tell you their is a huge rift in our family and the ones who cause the problems are the "Religious" ones. They are religious and racist, with I say is an oxymoron. Any way Daryl began his rant with "Now I have to say first I love you all and I am not here to be ugly but what I say may step on some of your toes" Okay my advice to anyone bringing a word, if you have to apologize for it, don't bring it. When did Jesus need to apologize. Any way he went on to tell everyone everything from being the devil's children to the sin of shacking up, even calling out homosexuality, said something stupid about if God has not whooped you then you aint no child of God, you belong to the devil. Oh yeah and you can only read the king James bible (Oh the blog I could do on that issue). So finally I had enough, and got the kids and walked out. I had a flash back to a church I grew up in and if you tried to leave the pastor would call you out, I wished he would have done that, because I would have had a lot to say. I kept looking at some of the faces in that room, one of which was a cousin with his pregnant girlfriend, and the thing is i know the pain he has had in his life and this "pastor" telling him he is the devil child, what good does that do him. Nothing in that word had an ounce of love in it. It was a choose God or Hell, where is the choice in that. Jesus is more than your get out of hell free card. He is the lover of your soul, he is the one who never leaves you, who never runs out of love for you, the one who believes in a thousand second chances, the one who you do not disappoint, the one who believes in you and Cherish's you, knows every thought in your heart and loves you still. Anyway on our way out I say the pregnant girlfriend, and she asked if I had had enough too. I told her yes and that I hope she does not think Christians really act like that. I got the kids in the car and I was worried about what all they took in. I told them that what that man said was not how God wants us to talk to to people and then I asked them if you want people the know God what do you do, They both answered "YOU LOVE THEM" If kids can get it so can the rest of us

9 comments:

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Wow, Lori! Unfortunately, there are many people out there who truly believe that they are saved, who belive this sort of stuff. I'm glad that you were discerning and that your children knew from your example what was truth and what was not.

Xandra

Christy said...

Im so sorry for your loss of your grandmother and for what you, your children & everyone else had to hear from him. It reminds me of the saying "Be careful of a wolf in sheeps clothing" He isnt a christian, if he was he would know everything he said was wrong.
What a great post!!!

Deborah said...

my, my, my...the garbage some people spew. But you know you've done something right if your kids know it's all about LOVE! That's what's most important.

Jill said...

Friend, What courage you showed in standing up for the truth. I am sorry you had to do it with the expense of your earthly family. I love your kids response. Keep it up, you are giving them a hertiage to be proud of.

Jeanne said...

You know I love you and E-E and Lissa! I'm so sorry that happened. Like everybody else said, your kids do have it together. What's that cheezy saying? Preach the Gospel, if necessary use words! :)

Nana Net said...

Lori, I am sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. Plus what you and your children had to go through. It reminds me of when my brother-in-law passed away. Seeems like all the preacher was interested in "Preaching" that day was about saving lost souls! Not about the life that my brother-in-law lived or the type of man he was, etc. Talk about a lot of angry people leaving his funeral! More so the ones who had traveled very far (over 500 miles) to be there to comfort all of us.
For me when someone dies their life should be remembered and celebrated during their funeral. Not used as a chance for the preacher to talk about nothing but sin and damnation!
Oh well, I am thankful that your children have you as their Mom. Cause just by what they said shows what a great job you are doing.
Take care and may many blessings flow your way.

Nana Net

Denise said...

That is too bad that man is so blinded by his "religion". And I can't believe your old pastor would call people out if they tried to leave. I'd hate to answer to God for those actions!!

Cyndi said...

I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother passed away. It does bring up lots of questions for the children. I am sure you reassured them, and comforted them. I am also so sorry that some of your family is blinded by their own beliefs. I completely understand. I have "christian" family members who have no problem using words that make me cringe.(I'm not talking curse words here) I love them, but am sometimes left shaking my head at how easily they preach then turn and such horrible comments are made. All you can do is just what you did. Hold fast to what you and your nucleas family believe, and filter out all the rest! (:

Hope Alexander said...

I am sorry about the death of your grandmother. I am also sorry for the loveless words spoken that day. how painful that must have been for those attending. I loved your last sentences about the amazing love of Jesus! Thank you for turning what happened into a positive for all of us! Hope